View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 2009 Class, 180-190 pound pro class, Owner class. 

I would really like the owners of the bikes we build to be able to ride there own bikes in a least one class that counts, not exhibition.

I would sponsor the class, cost, trophies etc to get this going for 09

Thanks
Jason

Thu May 29, 2008 12:11 pm
Profile WWW
SITE ADMIN

I am open to discuss the possibility of another class, but a 10 lb. spread is to close.

Maybe 175 - 200 lbs class.

What are your thoughts on fuel?

Also, starting in 2009 the Duners class will be grouped with the featured classes.

Thu May 29, 2008 1:28 pm

I think this class should be a rider and bike total weight class.

Like the duner class, but allow no front brakes and drag exhaust and such to make a 190 pound rider competitve.

So a 130 pound rider can ride a 390 pound bike
and a 190 pound rider can ride a 330 pound bike.

I would like to see a

Under 650 Riders Class Spec fuel, open engine,
Over 650 Riders Class " "

I think this would give the Duner class rider a chance to move into a Pro Class without changing anything but lightening up his or her bike to make the new min weight.

And it allows the guy who owns the power adder or modified bike to compete on his own bike.

I know a lot of good riders out there and owners that would love to be in a real class that they didn't give up 50 pounds on.

I don't know about the rest of the shops but I only have two jockeys maybe that can make every race and compete or I would have more entries.

We don't need to cater to everyone just closer to the average american.

What do you think?

Thu May 29, 2008 3:54 pm
Profile WWW

That would be great. I think more people would enter if they didn't have to worry about lining up with a 130lb. jockey. But then agian I weighed 195lbs. at the last race. What about a "low weight limit" on all "feature" classes?

Thu May 29, 2008 9:17 pm
SITE ADMIN

What would be a fair combined weight?......... 500 lbs.?

The Over 650 Duners is 550lbs.

Average male weight in the US is 180 lbs.

Shotcaller explain what you mean by low weight limit.

Thu May 29, 2008 9:38 pm

Where do I fit in? My bike alone is 538, and my 6'4" A** is 280lbs. :P LOL

how about we find the combined weight of the heaviest rider/bike combo and force everyone to add weight until all the ride/bike weights are the same?... (I'm kidding)

We might have to allow some of the bikes to ride double... LOL

Thu May 29, 2008 10:03 pm

I like your idea, every class have a min weight. I figure if you have to add weight you might have a slight advantage because of placement of it. But again I come from Karting and that never made for a super advantage.

If we did have a min weight for each class it is going to make people have to spend less on there bike, ti hardware, light weight parts etc. unless they are heavy,

If this reduces cost for most racers and increase participants then it should be implemented.

Tom,

In order to increase participation in Oregon I think a Rookie Seminar on Friday would help the new riders understand the format and how the program runs, I think it would be fun to get a few of the pro riders to put it on. Brett that rides for me and maybe you and your son's could put a few guys through a short class, Regardless of what happens the guys in oregon would really love to meet everyone and feel like they are part of it. I can put together a short intruduction format for this.

What do you think. I will sign up people up, and tell them about Rookie Orientation. I would also invite any racer that wants to join come to it as well. This should make the program go more smoothly.

Jason

Also, will there be a PA System or announcer for the racing, I know people in Oregon and I know where to rent a system.

Fri May 30, 2008 9:21 am
Profile WWW

I think you would have to do some sampling to see what the average bike /rider weight is. I'm kinda torn between the minimum weight deal and leaving it the way it is. It would sure help us heavier riders.

Fri May 30, 2008 9:50 am

We too have seen a noticable drop in everyday customers who are willing to pay entry fees and fuel costs to run against bikes that by weight only are out of their reach. I dont know that there is any way around that, its the nature of the beast to wanna be the fastest. However I think its worth noting that every nhra class all the way to the top dog top fuel class has a min weight. It seems that to do this only makes sense that its an across the board "feature" class rider/bike combined weight min. Let the setup and the motor do the talking. Its a touchy subject but it seems needed to really draw the mainstream customer into the racing world and start getting some really great turnouts.

Fri May 30, 2008 11:01 am
Profile WWW
SITE ADMIN

What would you do about the bikes that have already been built and lightened?

Fri May 30, 2008 11:05 am

What would you do about the bikes that have already been built and lightened?

add weight or to the rider with ballast just like every car and bike in nhra does.

Fri May 30, 2008 11:15 am
Profile WWW

You weight up the bikes that are already light with a light rider, or you put a heavier rider on it.

Your not punishing the guy who put a ton of light weight stuff on his bike, you are allowing him to ride his own stuff. If he happens to be a light guy with a light bike then he is not the norm. He is the exception. We have to cater to the largest group to increase entries, What ever increases entries and doesn't add cost should be what the rules are based on.

I want to see 30 + bikes in a class, not 3. This needs to happen.

If you weight 280 or 300 or weigh 120 or such you do not get your own class. A series cannot cater to everyone, but has to cater to the majority.

If you spent a ton on a light bike and have a light rider than enter, Unlimited.
If you weigh a lot then enter sumo.

I'm ready to to see this series hit the next level, By running Sandfest and other big events and big weekends we can maximize entries, this will bring spectators, sponsors, etc.

Teams like mine will grow, the series will grow.

Let's make it happen.

Fri May 30, 2008 11:33 am
Profile WWW
SITE ADMIN

We have a PA system lined up for the starting line area. Sandfest will have their PA system on the main stage announcing race times as well.

The rookie seminar/demonstration sounds good, we can discuss the details, but it would need to be scheduled for late Friday afternoon.

Thanks for stepping up Jason, it is nice to have you on board!

I'm listening on the proposed classes. I need everyone to chime in.

Last edited by Quadracers on Fri May 30, 2008 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri May 30, 2008 1:30 pm

We wanted and tried to make a weight limit and it was met with resistance, because it was viewed as a way to elimiminate jockeys and Ti parts. Thats not the case. Its a way to make everyone competitive and it makes it so that you know what you are up against when you show up to race.

Its the only way the race series will truley take off and be fair to everyone, IMO.

Its pretty simple really, take the lightest bike in a 450 its about 225 pounds give or take and take the average male , thats 180 and you got 405 pounds of rider and bike.
Now if you weigh 130 you can leave you bike at 275 and keep big dollars in your pocket. Or make it light and ballast it (safely and approved of course).
The big problem we had was in the big bore class. All the sudden the DS throws it all out of whack.
Same with the KFX700.
Basically it turns it into a Raptor class, but it pretty much is anyway.
I know thats just a challenge for Mr. HP though, right Eric?
The end all of it all is a weight limit on each class.
Now I am not saying that it should be a heavy weight. It should be a light weight bike average rider = combined weight.
Great Discussion!

Fri May 30, 2008 1:35 pm
Profile WWW

Its pretty simple really, take the lightest bike in a 450 its about 225 pounds give or take and take the average male , thats 180 and you got 405 pounds of rider and bike.
Now if you weigh 130 you can leave you bike at 275 and keep big dollars in your pocket. Or make it light and ballast it (safely and approved of course).
The big problem we had was in the big bore class. All the sudden the DS throws it all out of whack.
Same with the KFX700.
Basically it turns it into a Raptor class, but it pretty much is anyway.
I know thats just a challenge for Mr. HP though, right Eric?
The end all of it all is a weight limit on each class.
Now I am not saying that it should be a heavy weight. It should be a light weight bike average rider = combined weight.
Great Discussion!

KBR I'm with you on logic of the weight. One problem I see is getting the weight close between the different sizes bikes. The only solution would be weighting in the bike before races. And a system that adds weights to the bikes. If you weighted in before the race and set your bike up with weights you could get a pretty even weight. I’m pretty sure weighting in before the race would eliminate a hand full disqualifications.

Fri May 30, 2008 2:49 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 124 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next